When news happens, text SDE and your photos or videos to 80360. Or contact us by email and phone.
Popley man died after prescription drug overdose
A MAN suffered a fatal embolism after taking an overdose, an inquest heard.
Gareth Dean Russell, of Tobago Close, Popley, Basingstok, died at Basingstoke hospital on October 6, having taken an overdose of prescription medicines.
A post-mortem found the 30-year-old died from a pulmonary embolism, an after-effect of the pills he took in his suicide attempt a day earlier.
The inquest in Alton heard Mr Russell was an irregular user of mental health services, and had previously attempted suicide.
North East Hampshire Coroner Andrew Bradley said that in a call to an out-of-hours mental health crisis team the day before he died, Mr Russell admitted he had taken an overdose of pills. An ambulance was then sent to his house.
Recording a verdict of suicide, Mr Bradley said: “It’s clear he (Mr Russell) was in a confused state.”
He added: “There’s no doubt in my mind that he took an overdose of pills. That led to immobility and that gave rise to the leg vein thrombosis and pulmonary embolism.”