When news happens, text SDE and your photos or videos to 80360. Or contact us by email and phone.
CarFest organisers disappointed with negative press
THE organisers of CarFest said they were “massively disappointed” with the way it was covered in the national press on Tuesday.
The Daily Telegraph reported that the event had “fractured the tranquility” of the “genteel country folk of Hampshire” while the Daily Mail claimed the situation was a nightmare as Ferraris and motorbikes clogged the country lanes.
CarFest director Nicola Meadley said: “I was massively disappointed to see what had been reported. One of the things we were most pleased with was how well the traffic flowed in and out.”
Jody and Claire Scheckter also expressed their displeasure, saying: “"We were naturally disappointed to see negative press after the festival, based on a very few neighbours’ comments.”
They added: “This was a very special family event which raised funds for Children in Need.”
The couple said an estimated 1,000 of the 15,000 attending had come from the local area and the reaction had been very positive. Hampshire Constabulary described the event as “relaxed and friendly”.
Sergeant Jason Holford, from the Event Planning Team, said: “From a policing perspective the event was well run and the implementation of the traffic plan meant there was minimal disruption.
“We are aware of some issues reported by local residents, however all were investigated and no offences had been committed.”
He said there were two reported thefts – a pair of trainers and some wine from an unattended display.